Requirement: share your biggest beauty history question (Click HERE To Join)
Prizes: 1 winner '100,000 Years of Beauty book set'
Till: 20 Mar 2010
“100,000 Years of Beauty” unites contributions from 300 writers of 35 different nationalities and 20 different disciplines including anthropology, archeology, ethnology, sociology, psychology and more. The end result is a holistic look at the role of appearance through the profound lens of social sciences.
“In a fast-changing world L’Oréal explores the fundamental question of the meaning of beauty,” comments Béatrice Daustresme, CEO, L’Oréal Corporate Foundation. “Contributing to and shedding light on knowledge of beauty and reflecting on the business of beauty – these are some of the motivations inspiring this work of social sciences research.”
Pyramid in shape, “100,000 Years of Beauty’s” innovative design is beautiful in both form and content. Published by Gallimard and under the editorial direction of Elisabeth Azoulay, the book features five volumes, spanning five major time-periods in chronological order:
· Volume 1: Prehistory – Features the origins of beauty in the earliest human societies
· Volume 2: Antiquity – Examines the great changes that transform, from a sociological and psychological point of view, the pursuit of beauty
· Volume 3: Classical Age – Explores the medieval and early modern periods as bringing about worldwide shifts in fashion and beauty
· Volume 4: Globalization – Journeys through the modern era, which are marked by the age of the individual and the desire to achieve social equalities such as fighting against racism, claiming equal rights for women, and sexual liberation
· Volume 5: The Future – Dawns the new digital age and alternative movements where beauty is a focus for cutting-edge medical and biotechnological research